Friday, October 03, 2008

Portfolio Hell

It is getting close to the end of my time here in Savannah. Overall, I am pleased about that fact because I don't EVER want to live in this stink-hole. However, before my sentence is up and I am released from school, I have to go through the gauntlet known as Graphic Design Portfolio class. To put it in perspective, Marines go through the "Crucible", Navy SEALS have BUD/S, Graphic Design students at SCAD have Portfolio class. I know what you are asking, "What's the big hairy deal?"

Well as a Graphic Designer and really any artist looking for work, your portfolio is your life. It is what gets you jobs. Yet what portfolio class is, is taking all the work you have done over the last four years or so, and choosing which of it is worthy of going into your portfolio. Now a few of the students here who are legitimately AMAZING at everything they do, won't have a big problem with this. However, for the mere mortals, like myself, it means wading through projects that you had hoped to forget about and put them into a "book" that you design. So, not only do I have to design this book so that the presentation of my work is cool but also redo all of the work that I have done. This is not a pleasant experience.................................................Sorry, I got distracted. there is a really hot girl in the computer lab sitting a few feet away and she has just started talking to the not-so-attractive redneck lesbian. Right, back on topic.

Portfolio, sucks. Apparently I was supposed to be taking pictures of my finished work this whole time, so that I would have something to work with. NO CLUE, that I was supposed to be doing that. Plus, I am the world's worst photographer...seriously. So I dont' know what the hell I am going to do. Plus along with all this portfolio/redo stuff...I have to create a resume, cover letter, reference list and do research on design firms...OH AND write design narratives. It is a lot of work. Oh and for those of you who are like, "big deal! that doesn't sound so bad." Well guess what smartass I don't get to just open microsoft word and choose some template. No I have to figure out how to design a resume that represents me as a designer and a person. WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT EVEN MEAN!?

I don't know...but I will continue to sit here until I figure it out.
m.
PS. Don't vote for Sarah Palin. She bans books and doesn't believe in evolution. BOO! HISS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that was the best "blog" I've ever read. Mark, you are aweome and please, please do not ever change. Fuck em'.
I love you! :)

Lindsey Joines