Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Did I tell you about the Gecko?


anole2
Originally uploaded by maq911.
So the other day I am sitting on the can as I am want to do from time to time. You know, mind my own business doing my business. Nothing really unusual about this. So I finish my "duty" and I move to the vanity to wash my hands. Out of the corner of my eye I see something move from behind the toilet to the side of the vanity. I look around the corner and there on the vanity is a little green lizard! Well is scared the bejesus out of me at first cause that was the last thing I was expecting. However, the next question was, "What the hell am I gonna do with this lizard?" I can't just stomp him like a bug because 1) I like lizards and 2) it would make a huge freaking mess of lizard guts all over the wall. So I go into the kitchen and get two plastic cups. Now the entire time I am thinking how fast this thing is and how the hell I am going to catch him with two plastic cups.
So I go into the bathroom and try and scoup the little guy up. As expected the little shit is fast as lighting, he also jumps. Not like little hops, I mean full on Air Jordan leaps tall buildings in a single bound kinda jumping. So whatever he jumped over my hand the first time so I had to reposition and adapt. I figured out that lizards don't "hear". I was able to tap on the wall behind it and he didn't react. So what I did was distract him with one cup in front of him by moving it around...like I was hypnotizing him and then while he was distracted scoop him up from behind. Well, it worked and I caught him. I then proceeded to run outside to a tree on my front lawn and let him go. Of course he didn't want to come out of the cup, but he did and ran off. Two things about this. One I felt pretty damn clever for being able to catch this thing, kind of like the Croc Hunter. Two, I was really happy that I didn't have to kill him. If it was a bug I probably would have taken him out and then cleaned up the mess, regardless of the size of the bug. But if felt good to solve the problem using non-violent means.
So ends my story.
PS this lizard was actually an anole I think rather than a gecko. Not that I know what he difference is

1 comment:

Pancho Vista said...

The carolina anole, no doubt. Not to be confused with the cuban brown. Ah yes, I remember capturing and tormenting these as a youngster.