Monday, June 06, 2005

Zatoichi "The Blind Swordsman"


Zatoichi Movie Poster. UK edition Posted by Hello

I saw the coolest movie last night and I am still in awe. The movie is called Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman. For those of you who don't know, Zatoichi is a Japanese legend about a blind samurai with incredible sword skills. Now I know what you're thinking, its a samurai movie with a lot of violence and not much story. OH HOW WRONG YOU ARE! This movie was great, it had action, drama, well developed characters, comedy, and dancing. Yeah that's right, dancing...actually tap dancing. Now tap dancing and samurais wouldn't be two things that I would necessarily blend but it was awesome. Think of tap dancing as in "Bring in the Noise, Bring in the Funk" and you have some idea of what it was like.
This movie was amazing. It is Japanese but I bought the DVD and you can choose to have the English dub. I prefer the dubbing only because I can't read subtitles fast enough and watch the scene at the same time. The fight scenes in this movie were awesome and they weren't like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon which I am really thankful for. All that high wire flying around is pretty stupid looking I think, this had none of that but was 10 times more amazing. It was also one of the funniest movies I have seen a while. Very clever wit and slapstick throughout the film. More movies need to be like this. It was alos like a movie comic book or more precisely a movie real-life samurai manga. The blood splatter was computer generated and you don't notice at first. It was just so damn cool.
YOU ALL NEED TO GO SEE IT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You wrote: "I bought the DVD and you can choose to have the English dub" but you then said to go see the movie, won't you loan it out to a devoted reader (or a drunk broad)?