Monday, December 20, 2004

Inker Wannabe


JimLeeBlue
Originally uploaded by maq911.
Sorry it has been so long since I have written but with the holidays rapidly approaching, my moving to Georgia, trying to fit everyone into my life and work I have been a bit busy. There is much to talk about since the last time I wrote but I wanted to talk about this picture first.
The picture I have posted is a scan of some orginal pencils done by Jim Lee. They appeared not too long ago in Superman #208. On his blog, Jim posted the original pencils and gave a link to a high res file that you can download and try your hand at inking his work. Up until now, those chores are usually left to the very talented inker-maestro, Scott Williams. So I said what the hell, let's see if I can do it and get some feedback from Jim and the rest of the DC/Wildstorm bunch. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
For you art people, I downloaded the file that was in grayscale and in photoshop turned the linework blue. For those of you who don't know, blue pencil does not photocopy. So rather than inking Jim's grayscale which would end up being a total mess when I scanned it, I inked the blue line work so that only my inks would show up. It wasn't hard to do this, especially because Jim gave directions on how to do it in photoshop. The hard part was when I went to Kinkos to print the bastard out. They were backed up with holiday printing so I was only able to use a lazer printer and print on lazer paper to 8.5 x 11. The actually drawing is 11 x 17. So when the picture gets shrunk down, the line work gets tighter and unless you have the muscle control of a Sloth, it is going to make it a very difficult task. Especially when you have as much detail and fine line work as you do in a Jim Lee drawing. Anyway it took me about three days to do. I work for maybe 2 hours a day on it. Not too bad for my first inking foray. However if I were to do it again, I would definilty work off a bigger piece of paper!

No comments: