Monday, November 01, 2004

Back at work

Hello True Believers!
No, I don't feel bad that I rip off Stan Lee's opening greetings. If you mind, you can easly leave me a comment to which I will most certainly reply "PISS OFF!"
I am back at work today after my week in beautiful Savannah, Georgia. I am both excited and apprehensive about returning to school and moving to a new location. But I just remind myself that a) I have done it before and b) I have been to far worse shitholes than Savannah, GA!
Anyway, this is my last week at work. As of Friday I will no longer be an employee of World Courier Ground. This goodbye is bittersweet. This is the longest job I have ever held, I have been here just over a year (like a year and a day). For that reason I am rather proud of myself. It is an unfortunate trait of mine that I tend to get restless rather quickly and when that happens, "SO LONG SUCKERS!" is pretty much my goodbye. This is probably why I have never had a relationship longer than a year, but that is another topic that I am very sure will be covered again and again in this small corner of the Web. Yes, right, this is my longest held position in the work place. Truly something to be proud of when I think of all the nonsense I had to put up with I first got hired. The back in forth between full time and part time, the pay cuts, the pulling of benefits, the hours, I could go on and on. I did however, learn quite a lot about the logistics industry. Unfortunately I also learned that the market is getting smaller and unless your one of the big boys, keeping your head above water is a truly uphill battle. Ok, yes that was way too many metaphors in one sentence. Yes, I have a degree in Journalism, no I don't use it that often and once again THIS IS MY BLOG SO PISS OFF!
I am at work writing this which some may think as unethical, I think of it more as keeping myself busy when no one else is here. That is one thing I learned quickly at this job. Just how much I like to work by myself and in a team. There is a certain ratio that I will need to keep in check for the rest of my working life that I seemed to have found here. I also successfully reinforced my strong distaste for micromanagers. Such people should truly be severely hurt.
Getting back on track, I will sort of miss this place. My daily lunches with Justin, my verbal sparring with Jerry and Mike, my complete disregard for authority when speaking with the President, my conversation with Bill the matience man...truly these things make my day that much more enjoyable. Yet I am not really sad to see this place go, or should I say see myself walk out the door. This is not a really happy place to work in. There has been a high turnover of people in my department of four and there seems to be a lot of closet animosity towards the higher ups. Whether that is justified or not is a debate that would surely fill more pages than the 9/11 Commission. But it does take's it toll. Perhaps it is my age that keeps me from getting so attached to what I do. From the first day I walked in I told myself to maintain a healthy since of detachment, do not get too invested in what goes on. When it becomes personal, work can take a destructive turn down the spiral. I have succesfully avoided this. Mind you, I have certainly done my fair share of complaining, as is any workers right when he is on the bottom of the totem pole. But I don't feel I had the voracity or the dislike in my complaints as some of my other co-workers. This is a rather troubling thing to witness for two reasons. 1) Is it a prediciton of my future in the working world that as I age I will become more bitter? 2) Is it a reflection of my apathy or even more so an indication of a higher level of apathy than what I realized I had?
Either way, I am glad to be moving. If for no other reason than the sheer adventure of it all. However, as excited as I am, I do hope my restlessness will one day fade away and leave me with a home, a love and a purpose. As for now, it seems to early to tell
Peace

No comments: